So, you are invited to be guest at a destination wedding with DWD? You must be so excited to celebrate your loved ones with a built-in vacay! Now, you’re reviewing the details, selecting a room, and deciding your dates. Your invoice includes room & board, all-inclusive amenities, and airport transfers, but where is the airfare? Airfare is not included in our with destination weddings for several reasons—read on to find out why.
Why your destination wedding stay doesn’t include airfare and tips for booking airfare when you don’t have a resort/hotel and air package
99% of the time, guests have varying trip schedules and/or live in different areas. With everyone coming from different locations on different dates, this isn’t conducive to have group air schedules. To book group airfare, everyone must travel from the same airport, on the same day, on the same fight, at the same time. Clearly, this would pose more trouble for everyone.
Minimal Price Breaks
While airlines do offer group air discounts, they are incredibly minimal. In my experience, travelers only end up with about a $25 price break per ticket. For such a small amount, this isn’t worth the hassle of forcing everyone to book the same dates from the departure airport.
By not having group airfare, you’re free to book the length of stay that works for you! Looking to get in and out? A 3-night stay would be for you. Want to really make a vacation out of it and take real advantage of those group resort rates? Make it a whole week! Without a group air schedule, you have the freedom to choose!
Makes sense why destination weddings don’t include airfare in the packages, right? Now that you know, you’ll need some help planning your airfare! Keep reading for more.
5 Tips for booking airfare when you don’t have a hotel and flight package
I have a few tips to help you in booking your airfare.
- Schedules | Most airline schedules are available for purchase 331 days or 11 months in advance. Southwest Airlines typically releases their schedule 6 months in advance.
- Tracking Costs | I recommend tracking your flights via Google Flights so you can monitor the cost. You can set notifications to alert you when pricing changes.
- When to book? | For summer travel, I typically recommend waiting until after the New Year if you find yourself planning around the winter holidays. Historically, pricing is lower before and after the holiday season.
- Don’t book basic economy. | You will end up paying more for seats, carry on bags, checked baggage, etc.
- Book Direct | Since your airfare is not packaged with the resort, I advise booking with airlines directly. Third party sites have hidden fees and stricter terms.
But I still need help! No problemo! I can still handle your airfare making sure your dates match your resort stay and you fly to the correct airport.
So, what do you think—skip the group air?
Want to learn more about destination weddings? Visit DWD’s destination wedding planning page!
SHARE THIS POST